From: DTS66::LEDERMAN "B. Z. Lederman" 24-NOV-1992 12:27:33.91
To: MX%"[email-masked]"
Cc: LEDERMAN

Thanks for the information.  I'm still working (at a low
 priority, and probably not over Thanksgiving) on getting this
 going.  I'll probably pick up the new release.

| standard.  We've run into a couple of problems like this involving
| the ANSI standard, and I wish I had a copy iof the standard itself.

    I don't think I can come up with that.  I may be able to get
 you the email address for the DECUS representative to the ANSI C
 standards committee, if you'd like to talk directly with someone
 about ANSI C.

| Thanks very much for sending along the other comments.  The "return NULL"
| statements in an int function or "return 0" in a pointer function
| are clearly incorrect and I'm surprised that my compilers allowed them.

    My guess is that when a pointer can be contained in an
 integer, the compiler won't complain.  The VAX C compiler doesn't
 emit an error message unless the /STANDARD=PORTABLE option is
 used during compilation, at which time it gives out an
 informational message that conversions between pointers and
 integers may not be portable.  It will go ahead and produce code
 which should run locally, though, as a pointer is the same size
 as a default integer on VAX/VMS.

| If you haven't seen it, I pass along the attached:
| 
| bwBASIC Notice #001      6 November 1992
| ----------------------------------------

    I hadn't seen that.  I don't think our NEWS feed is very
 reliable.  For that matter, I'm not sure our mail feed is much
 more reliable.

    If there is a mailing list, I'd be interested in being on it. 
 It may be safer to mail to me as [email-masked], which
 has a more reliable feed.  It's the DECUServe system, a sort of
 BBS for DECUS members, which is where the comments I forwarded
 came from.

| As I understand it, SEEK_SET (used in bwb_dio.c) should be defined
| in stdio.h and RAND_MAX (used in bwb_fnc.c) should be defined in
| stdlib.h.  

    FYI, these are properly defined in VMS.